Friday, November 16, 2007

God Acts Through Earthly Instruments

Heh.

A United States Marine was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. One of the courses had a professor who was a vowed atheist and a member of the ACLU. One day the professor shocked the class when he came in. He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, “God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I’ll give you exactly 15 minutes.”

The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, “Here I am God. I’m still waiting.”

It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and cold-cocked him; knocking him off the platform. The professor was out cold.

The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently. The other students were shocked and stunned and sat there looking on in silence. The professor eventually came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked, “What the hell is the matter with you? Why did you do that?”

The Marine calmly replied, “God was too busy today protecting America’s troops who are protecting your right to say stupid shit and act like an asshole. So, He sent me.”

Stolen from Cavey!

9 comments:

PaulNoonan said...

So the point of this story is that this soldier lacks faith, right? Also that people sometimes commit crimes in the name of religion. Anything else?

Display Name said...

Paul, so why is the character in the story a Marine? Is there a pro-military aspect that we're missing? Who Would Jesus Cold-Cock?

Kevin Whiteman said...

As much as I woulod like to take credit for this, it was a fellow contributor, Former Altar Boy, who posted this.

___________________________________

Who Would Jesus Cold-Cock?

Well, I do know that He said something about tying millstones around the necks of certain individuals, and casting them into the sea.

Kevin Whiteman said...

Also that people sometimes commit crimes in the name of religion

What crime was comitted? The prof dared God to knock him off down. God did via the Marine.

Your "crime" crack is as ignorant as your "lack of faith" comment.

PaulNoonan said...

Assault. He did not ask the Marine to assault him, and even if he did, you can't consent to a battery. This was conduct unbecoming of an officer. Terrible story really. Violence used in an attempt to settle and intellectual dispute. Shows a weak mind. Probably why it ended up on this blog. Goes with the crazy economic reasoning found here.

Ta,

Paul

Dad29 said...

Vir: now you see what we have to put up with from smart-boy Chicago lawyers like Paul here in the North.

And I'm one of the few Conservative bloggers who lets Foust comment--which will tell you about Christian charity.

As to "who would Jesus cold-cock", let me suggest a couple of names...

Anonymous said...

I guess the irony fails paul,kind of shows what a shallow mind he has.

Anonymous said...

People who tell and promote stories that depict God in such a ugly light and attribute to God such banal motives and activities promote the atheism that they decry.

Display Name said...

Actually, Dad29, I've only been banned from two. Texas Hold 'Em banned me quite early because I committed the sin of asking him good questions. If you like, examine the original thread and the post that got me banned. We were talking about Jesus and "muscular Christianity," in fact.

At Boots and Sabers, Owen claimed I'd been a sock-puppet a half-dozen times or more; this assertion is entirely false. I've asked for proof repeatedly and he's never provided it to anyone. He'd ask the same if falsely accused, don't you think? In some odd coincidence, Owen banned me at roughly the same moment that fellow conservative blogger Wigderson praised my Boots & Kittens parody web site with the headline "I love this website".

"Cold-cock 'em" is not the first or even the second lesson I'd take from the New Testament. Sure there's that manly-man story of whipping the money-changers from the temple, but it wasn't supposed to be the sum, was it?