Thursday, May 19, 2011

On Dying Married

At some point in your life, you'll begin reading death notices regularly.

After that happens, you'll notice something; it happens (not often, but regularly enough) that a husband and wife die within a few days or months of each other.

Well, this just happened to a couple we knew. After a long illness, the wife died. Two days later, her husband also passed away.

Some have remarked that this is 'tragic.'

I disagree. To me, it's a very clear and unambiguous sign of the love they shared. And God, in His goodness, did not let death do them part.

4 comments:

[Redacted] said...

Some have remarked that this is 'tragic.'

I disagree. To me, it's a very clear and unambiguous sign of the love they shared. And God, in His goodness, did not let death do them part.


As an atheist, I can't agree with you on the last part of that, but I absolutely agree with you on the rest. I am reminded of my grandfather, who lived ten years after my grandmother died. While I can't say I was sad that he got to see me graduate from school and get married myself, there was always a distinct sadness about him, and a very real sense that he was waiting his turn.

I've not the slightest idea what happens when we die, but I do think that marriage, properly defined, is a relationship elevated to the point where two people literally cannot live without one another.

Anonymous said...

My grandparents died within a few months of each other. After my grandma died, my grandpa said that he really didn't have much to live for. They were married for over sixty years.

Jeremy in Neenah said...

Happened to a couple from my hometown. The part that got me was that neither of them was ill or under a doctor's care. They were married for 40+ years I believe. One day the wife had an aneurism and passed away that same day. The day before her funeral, two days later if I recall, they found him at the breakfast table, dead. Every single person understood, he didn't want to live without her, and, as you stated, God did not let death do them part.

RAG said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. Over the years I have seen this happen and have wondered the same.