Saturday, March 25, 2023

UW-Madison Faculty Parade, Part 3,284

When they're not quite wacky enough to get a post at any U of California campus, UW-Madison will hire them.

...During a Mar. 6 panel discussion, professor Sami Schalk of the University of Wisconsin-Madison gave an account of an epiphany she had while researching disability studies. Before conducting this research, she did not think of herself as disabled. After, however, Schalk realized “there was a part of [her] that knew” she had a disability, similar to her self-realization that she was queer....

 ...“So I took this [disability studies] class, and it blew my mind. Just fireworks going off in my brain … I had spent so much time thinking about race and gender and class and sexuality, and I had just not been thinking about disability with the same critical lens,” Schalk said of her first experiences encountering the discipline in college....

Her new self-understanding was actually an epiphany!

 ...“I had to grapple with my own privilege within the disability system, because at the time I didn’t understand myself as disabled,” she continued. She then added, “[T]here was a part of me that knew, just like there was a part of me that knew I was queer."

Schalk did not specify in the panel discussion in what way she considers herself disabled, though in her book on the subject, she writes that she is "a person with depression, disordered eating, chronic pain, and anxiety," and thus is "unquestionably disabled."...

Uh-huh.

The Professor Who Twerked with Lizzo | On Wisconsin Magazine

 

No comments: