Thursday, August 20, 2009

Rumor: You're Going to Pay to Read JSOnline

It's been a long, long time since I've paid for a newspaper subscription, for good reason: I can read the damn thing FREE on the Intertubulars.

Yah, there are some cheesy pop-down Milwaukee Brewer ads, and the site-design resembles a junkyard with neatly-painted trash.

Regardless, it is free-to-read.

And I have repeatedly told a JS staffer that their "free-stuff" policy is absolutely stupid.

An acquaintance of mine who is knowledgeable told me recently that "free-to-read" is likely to stop, very soon, at the Milwaukee JS.

Dammit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw somewhere that it's going to be something like $9.50 per month for the online subscription.

Neo-Con Tastic said...

I will not pay to read the JSOnline or any other paper for that matter.

I laugh at the people who will cough up that money and then are STILL bombarded by ads and horrible journalism.

(For the record, I use Mozilla FF with Ad Block Plus and I haven't seen an ad in months. Love it.)

Anonymous said...

No one will pay to read AP Headlines (about all they can offer with most of their good reporters gone), or about Elizabeth Brenner getting another bonus.

Dan said...

"And I have repeatedly told a JS staffer that their "free-stuff" policy is absolutely stupid"
Thanks Dad, now we know who to blame.

David B said...

Their "Free Stuff" policy bringing in ad revenue is a lot better than a "Not Free Stuff" policy bring in zero. They do not break stories, talk radio and bloggers do that. They do not do investigative journalism more than once a year (if that). The only reason I used to go to JSOnline was their top stories list but even that is worthless now when I can read of a Governor not running for reelection hours before the JS picks it up.