Friday, April 02, 2010

Good Friday


O vos omnes, qui transitis per viam
attendite, et videte si est dolor similis sicut dolor meus.
Attendite, universi populi, et videre dolorem meum
Si est dolor similis sicut dolor meus.

Tomorrow shall be my dancing day.
I would my true love did so chance.
To see the legend of my play
To call my true love to the dance.

Refrain: Sing oh my love, oh my love, my love; This have I done for my true love.

For thirty pence Judas me sold,
His covetousness for to advance;
Mark whom I kiss, the same do hold,
The same is he shall lead the dance.

Before Pilate the Jews me brought,
When Barabbas had deliverance.
They scourged me and set me at naught.
Judged me to die to lead the dance.

Refrain

When on the cross hanged I was,
When a spear to my heart did glance,
There issued forth both water and blood,
To call my true love to the dance.

Then down to hell, I took my way,
For my true love's deliverance,
And rose again on the third day,
Up to my true love and the dance.

Then up to heaven, I did ascend.
Where now I dwell in sure substance,
On the right hand of God, that man
May come into the general dance

Sing oh my love, oh my love, my love; This have I done for my true love.

--Gustav Holst, "This Have I Done for My True Love"

HT: Reilly/Inside

No comments: