Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Minor Poll

Met a 30-ish fellow today who is employed in a personal-service business (it's legit, you dirty-minded turkeys.)

He's required to have a cellphone so that he and the HQ are in touch; his job includes some unpredictability, so it's important that communications are available.

However, I was a bit discomfited by his wearing a Bluetooth device which was the earpiece-and-microphone thingamabob about 4 inches long extending from ear to lips.

Somehow, that bothered me. Here's why:

"Personal service" should mean that the individual rendering that service has NOTHING else on his/her mind than the customer. That Bluetooth (to me, anyway) detracts from that image. It tells me that you, the customer, COULD be interrupted by someone who is simply more important.

Although a pocket cellphone conveys the same message, it is not visible unless it's in use. That makes it different from the 'tooth thingy.

Or am I really, really, old?

I'm interested in your thoughts.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree, and I'm not as old as you, ol' fart ;-)

When providing service, you should be completely focused on the person you're servicing. Any technology that indicates a willingness to do something else is unprofessional in my mind.

- Owen
B&S

Neo-Con Tastic said...

That thingamajig is going to fry his brain.

And, I think they look super tacky and terrible.

Dad29 said...

So, Owen, you conceded that you, too, are a 'fart'?

Jo Egelhoff, FoxPolitics.net said...

Yes my friend, you are old. Yes, I agree with you. Yes, I'm old too.

Paul - Berry Laker said...

I'm with you.
Bet he has no opinion on politics and his future. Does he have a clue he will pay for all this gummit spending? Do you know if he is an Obomaite?

Keep up the GREAT work.

PS, even though my boys are of age I would still kick their butt if I seen them wear the phone.

J. Strupp said...

So if you're a 30-ish year old wearing a bluetooth you're an "Obomaite" who has no opinion about politics or your future.

That's deep.

Display Name said...

Let me guess. You don't text, either.