Saturday, November 18, 2006

Secular Liberals Fail Charity Test

A new book from Arthur Brooks claims:

...conservatives who practice religion, live in traditional nuclear families and reject the notion that the government should engage in income redistribution are the most generous Americans, by any measure.

Conversely, secular liberals who believe fervently in government entitlement programs give far less to charity. They want everyone’s tax dollars to support charitable causes and are reluctant to write checks to those causes, even when governments don’t provide them with enough money.


And the book has the statistical analysis to back it up.

It's not news. But the proofs were anecdotal, until now.

More at BloggerBeer and at The Warrior

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you know, when it comes down to either buying weed or supporting lefty orgs, it's just much easier to buy the bumpersticker and vote Democrat.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why the label "liberal" means you support government entitlement programs. I believe that society has a responsibility to help those less fortunate, down and out, mentally ill, etc. This has nothing to do with "entitlement." People who can work should work, and workers should be paid a fair wage, etc., etc.

I am a secular liberal: I also live in a traditional nuclear family and give to charity on a regular basis. And believe it or not, St. Jimbob, I don't really smoke that much weed! So what? What does this have to do with anything? Do I mind paying taxes to help my fellow Americans? No. Do I want the money to be spent wisely? Yes. Do I contribute to causes that help people obtain food, resources, etc.? Yes. Does that make me a conservative? No.

Maybe it's all the weed I never smoked, but I don't get what the point is supposed to be. Secular liberals are evil because... ?

This is one secular liberal who thinks that this "study" is fulla hooey, and just another bash against us "Godless Liberals."

Mixter

Dad29 said...

The label is applied because it IS the tendency of liberals to "grow Government."

But you raise an interesting point. There is another group with has a tendency to "grow Government," and that is the Party of Government--which explains people like TThompson, GWBush, and others far too numerous to mention.