...Sir Elton HASN'T thought these topics through (which isn't particularly damnable in itself), and this is what comes out of a him. Most people, and all non-intellectuals, DON'T think things through -- they absorb what the world around them thinks or tells them they should think, thoughtlessly or with minimal thought. The thoughtless man is a better barometer of his society than the thoughtful man for that very reason. I think a serious persecution of Christians is coming, because sentiments like these are becoming much more commonly expressed as natural and normal than before. While there has always been The Village Atheist around, he has been an exception. Sir Elton indicates TVA might be becoming the norm.
He's not the first to predict a new persecution in recent times. Cdl. George of Chicago mentioned this about 6 months ago.
CourageMan also passes on some comparos between the Pope and SirElton, which are more fun:
- About the role of Husserl and phenomenology in Karol Wojtyla's personalist philosophy -- Elton John don't know shit
- The Pope never wrote a song to the World Team Tennis league
- The Pope has the stronger fashion sense, with more modest hats and better Prada shoes
- Everyone knows the pope's born name
- "Deus Caritas Est" is in a real dead language, unlike "Solar Prestige a Gammon"³ And a bit meatier than "Believe"
- Pope doesn't depend on Bernie Taupin to write words for him
- Pope hasn't had a career trajectory that started with Kiki Dee as a duet partner and went on to RuPaul and (on another song) George Michael