Tuesday, August 28, 2007

In Sheboygan, the Fun is Just Beginning

The mom who knifed her nephew because he sexually assaulted her daughter will be charged with a misdemeanor; the DA will NOT recommend jail time for her.

In a statement, Sheboygan County District Attorney Joe DeCecco says, "On the one hand, you have an obviously distraught mother reacting to the news that her daughter was sexually assaulted. On the other, you have the fact that the nephew was stabbed after the child was safe, after he had been beaten by the mother's friend who discovered the act and after the mother had called police and had taken the knife away from her friend. This appears to be retaliation or revenge and is simply unacceptable under the law."

Something tells me that the topic of Jury Nullification may be hot in the near future.

HT: Patrick

2 comments:

James Wigderson said...

I know I'm going to catch heck for this, but I think the DA did the right thing. After all, the child was out of danger at the time she stabbed the teenager.

And the teenager is getting charged next week.

Of course, had the man who originally intervened to save the child used lethal force, I wonder what the DA would've done then.

Dad29 said...

I agree with you about the DA, Wiggy. He really had no alternative.

But I'm inclined to bet on a Jury Nullification if it goes to a jury. Narrow spread, but that's my bet.