Tuesday, February 26, 2008

How 'Bout Those Nice Muslims?

From the Hats blog:

A good friend of mine was on a committee, made up of Catholics and Muslims, whose purpose was to come up with and propose non-inflammatory language for the Church when discussing Catholic/Muslim relations. (Note to good friend: I know I did a bad job of describing that. Feel free to correct me in the combox.) In the process, she befriended one of the young Muslim men on the committee. He was well educated (in America) and had been very instrumental in keeping the tone of the committee meetings kind and empathetic. He gave her hope for the future.

At the celebratory dinner after there work was done, my friend said to the man, "See? Look what we did. Christians and Muslims can work together and compromise and [I paraphrase badly] live together in peace, harmony and good will."

The man agreed. And then he reached over and grabbed the crucifix that she always wears around her neck, and he held it and looked her in the eyes and said, "But if you came to my country, I would kill you for wearing this."

Fair warning. And with Germany and England rapidly becoming 'Muslim' countries, you might want to re-examine your travel plans for the future.

3 comments:

Amy said...

But, no, we have nothing to fear, right?

M.E. said...

Read this article by Daniel Pipes. Pipes gives examples of Islamofascists targeting non-Muslims for killing, and says that a Christian could "pass" as a Muslim by memorizing a few lines of the Koran. I talked to my kids about this; we all agreed that it would be better to be martyred for the Christian faith than pretend to be a Muslim. But I pray we never have to make that choice.

Phelony Jones said...

I thought this passage from that article was poignant...

"We live in a world where we don't know what evil looks like. The people who want to kill us are smiling, befriending us, and taking advantage of our desire to do the right thing by them."

Too often, happens too often.