Thursday, April 01, 2010

Romo: A Mensch

If you don't know from 'mensch,' look it up.

Or read this.

..."I asked, 'Is your name Robbie?' Then I told him to come with me. I opened the door to the card room and said, 'Why don't you go in there and say hello to Tony Romo?' He goes in there and grabs Tony around the legs and starts hugging him and won't turn loose. I think he was crying. I know the room got misty-eyed," Humphreys said. "It was one of the most heartwarming things I've ever been through. There wasn't a dry eye in there as far as I could tell. It was just a happy time."

Tony, who was having lunch with his father and some friends, invited Robbie and Jim to sit down and join them while they had lunch. For the next 30 minutes, Tony and Robbie talked football and golf, with Robbie offering Tony a few football tips and recounting some Cowboys history.

"He tells Robbie that the Cowboys are going to have a better year next year," Jim said, "And Rob jumps up and shows him how you throw the ball. Tony is a very young man, but he's a super human being because he took time with Robbie. He is a gracious gentleman. They were finishing up and he told Rob, 'I've got to have another hug.' He got up and gave him another hug and then Tony asked him to give his dad a hug, too. So he had hugs all around.

There's more to the story at the link--it's better than you think, folks.

1 comment:

Billiam said...

There have been a number of stories since Romo came into the league about what a decent man he is. Nice to see that they still exist.