Monday, December 05, 2011

Military Morons

Generally speaking, the US military has a large bunch of very good men and women.

There are exceptions.

Walter Reed National Military Medical Center said they are rescinding a policy that prohibits family members of wounded military troops from bringing Bibles or any religious reading materials to their loved ones.

Say WHAT?

Rep. King blasted the daylights out of ...

... a policy memorandum from the commander of Walter Reed National Military Medical Center written by Chief of Staff C.W. Callahan. The September 14th memo covers guidelines for “wounded, ill, and injured partners in care.”

“No religious items (i.e. Bibles, reading material, and/or artifacts) are allowed to be given away or used during a visit,” the policy states.

COS Callahan should begin enjoying an assignment in the 'stan immediately.  He'd learn very fast about the value of "religious items" while in his foxhole.

HT:  Gateway

6 comments:

jimspice said...

I'm calling BS. I can't find anything anywhere except right wing blogs (and no, Daily Mail does not count as a news source). If this is true, I applaud the rescinding.

Dad29 said...

My link wound up at Fox News.

I report, you decide. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Grim said...

My guess would be that the policy was poorly worded -- military writing is not always a shining example of clarity. The Army is hardly anti-Bible. I've got two military-issue Bibles one with the heraldry of the 2nd Brigade of the 1st Armored Division on the cover, and one with the Third Infantry Division's, each from my time with the given unit. Such bibles were freely distributed by the chaplain to anyone who wanted them. There were always stacks of them available at every chaplain's office I ever visited.

I honestly can't imagine a chief of staff attempting to ban bibles on an army post. Banning visiting evangelicals from attempting to convert bedridden soldiers, yes. Banning Bibles, no.

COL Callahan is an Iraq war veteran, in any case. He has already had occasion to learn whatever deployment can teach.

Dad29 said...

Well, 'poorly worded' doesn't relieve someone of their under-signature of the memo.

But I was surprised, too...

Anonymous said...

You don't have long to breathe life into this ghost story...Reed is closing.

Jim said...

I believe Walter Reed Medical Center, the hospital in which I was born, is being shipped out to the grounds of Bethesda Naval Medical Center, MD to become the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.