Friday, August 13, 2010

Who Introduced This Proposal?

A quiz for you. Who wrote this (proposed) legislation, which would have nullified "anchor-baby" status for chilluns of illegals?

TITLE X—CITIZENSHIP 4 SEC. 1001. BASIS OF CITIZENSHIP CLARIFIED. In the exercise of its powers under section of the Fourteenth Article of Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, the Congress has determined and hereby declares that any person born after the date of enactment of this title to a mother who is neither a citizen of the United States nor admitted to the United States as a lawful permanent resident, and which person is a national or citizen of another country of which either of his or her natural parents is a national or citizen, or is entitled upon application to become a national or citizen of such country, shall be considered as born subject to the jurisdiction of that foreign country and not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States within the meaning of section 1 of such Article and shall therefore not be a citizen of the United States or of any State solely by reason of physical presence within the United States at the moment of birth.

ALL of my three readers know that it was a (D).

Yup.

Harry Reid.

HT: RedStates

5 comments:

Beer, Bicycles and the VRWC said...

No problem. Illegals go home, babies stay for adoption. Do that for a while and the problem goes away.

Jay Bullock said...

From a 2006 floor speech:
I don't want this to be true confessions, but I want to relate to the Senate that the biggest mistake I ever made, the largest error I ever made was 15 or 18 years ago, as a Member of the U.S. Congress [...].

A group of people came and talked to us and convinced us that the thing to do would be to close the borders between Mexico and the United States; in effect, stop people from coming across our borders to the United States. This period of time for which I am so apologetic-to my family, mostly-lasted about a week or two. I introduced legislation. My little wife is 5 feet tall. We have been together for soon to be 50 years. As I said here on the floor a few days ago, her father was born in Russia. He was run out of Russia. His name was Goldfarb, his family. They were Jewish. My wife heard that I had done this. She does not interfere with my legislation. Only when I ask her does she get involved in what I am doing. I didn't ask her about this. She, in effect, said: I can't believe that you have done it. But I had done it.

To compound this, I held a meeting a day or two after being confronted by my wife, a meeting in Las Vegas. It was a townhall meeting to explain this travesty that I called legislation. My friend, Judge John Mendoza, was there, somebody who, when I lost my Senate race in 1974 by 524 votes, spent all night with me consoling me, but he was in that audience. Larry Luna, Larry Mason, Isabelle Pfeiffer, people I had not talked to about this, in addition to my wife, pointed out the errors of my way. I have done everything since that meeting in Las Vegas, in conversation with my wife, to undo my embarrassment.

I have nothing against my friend, the junior Senator from Alabama, for bringing up what I had said those many years ago today on the Senate floor. I have no problem with that at all. But I do want to tell him and the rest of my friends in the Senate, that is a low point of my legislative career, the low point of my governmental career.

Beer, Bicycles and the VRWC said...

So? Your point is I should feel bad? I don't. I work on the premise that the people who live here have priority. those who enter via the rule of law are second and have equal stature once they become citizens. Last? Those who enter illegally. they have no right to be here, no Right to the benefits of this country and I want them out. Now.

TerryN said...

What did Harry say about Iraq? Seems to be an emerging pattern of speech...

Dad29 said...

Besides all that, Reid NEVER apologized for the birthright part.

See: http://legalinsurrection.blogspot.com/2010/08/harry-reids-birthright-non-apology.html