Wednesday, March 03, 2010

OMG!! The Patriots Are Coming!!!

About what you'd expect from Morrie Dees' Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which counters poverty by making itself rich through press releases and Government contracts.

Southern Poverty Law Center issued an alarming report "that an astonishing 363 new Patriot groups appeared in 2009, with the totals going from 149 groups (including 42 militias) to 512 (127 of them militias) - a 244% jump" from 2008.

Better call out Homeland Security! Mobilize the National Guard!! Activate the bomb-shelters!!

Or not.

The SPLC's roster includes 48 separate listings of a group called "We the People." This a non-profit organization founded by Robert Schultz, a hyper-litigious critic of the Internal Revenue Service.

So far, I like this.

After finding the Web site of the Alabama chapter of "We the People," I phoned Huntsville resident Lesha Martin, one of the members listed on the site. Is "We the People" some kind of violent militia-type outfit?

"Good heavens, no," said Ms. Martin, an admirer of Ron Paul who described herself as devoted to individual freedom and "resurrecting the Constitution."

Patriots. Militia. I guess it's really confusing, eh, Morrie??


HT: AmSpecBlog

1 comment:

RAG said...

I have my own bones to pick with Dees and SPLC.

Some years ago I sent a contribution in honor of the work SPLC did in fighting Ku Klux Klan and skinhead activity. They deserve support for their legitimate endeavors, often at personal risk.

But soon I began getting communications disingenuously disrespecting President Bush. Now I wasn't Dubya's biggest fan but these cheap shots were just that: cheap.

Oh, and then I somehow wound up on the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee mailing list.

To this day I still get fund solicitations from SPLC although I haven't sent them a dime since the unwarranted attacks on Bush.

I once took pride in Dees' story of how in the battle for civil rights, conservatives were among the front line veterans. In his words, he learned that "labels don't mean a damn thing."

Too bad his action didn't match his words.