Thursday, April 09, 2009

Good Friday, Passover, and Baseball

Some people do not know that Sandy Koufax, a Hall of Fame pitcher and Orthodox Jew, refused outright to pitch a game on Saturdays--and that included Saturdays on which the LA Dodgers were playing in the World Series.

What do you think Koufax would say to the present-day baseball king--who schedules games this year not only during Passover, but on Good Friday?

I am particularly grateful that Abp. Dolan has firmly nixed eating burgers, brats, and hot dogs at the game on Good Friday.

He could have taken another step, of course, and he wouldn't have had to make a long-distance call to do it.

6 comments:

Neo-Con Tastic said...

The JSOnline had a blog posting about this exact issue. I got into a heated discussion with a fellow "Catholic" who disregarded any issue with the schedule.

I, for one, won't be at any games this weekend and that is a financial loss for the Brewers.

Larry Denninger said...

If you think that's scandalous, the Detroit Tigers' home opener is Good Friday at 1:00!!

I won't even watch it on TV.

J. Strupp said...

So I guess that makes you a better "Catholic" than the other guy, hey Neo?

Larry, truly scandalous.

Neo-Con Tastic said...

I didn't say that now did I, Strupp? I simply stated a discussion that occurred.

I parenthesized the term Catholic because I don't actually know if the other blogger was one.

You go ahead and make your presumptions.

J. Strupp said...

My mistake. I read it as a judgemental reference by mistake.

Scot1and said...

"I, for one, won't be at any games this weekend and that is a financial loss for the Brewers."

They're sold out. The Brewers don't lose anything.