Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Fr Pfleger Gets Wrist-Slap

Fr Pfleger was asked to take a 2-week leave of absence by Cdl. George of Chicago.

The firebrand pastor of St. Sabina parish was removed from his duties there Tuesday, according to a statement released by the Archdiocese of Chicago.

In the statement, Cardinal Francis George says he asked the Rev. Michael Pfleger, 59, to "take leave for a couple of weeks from his pastoral duties." The statement said Pfleger "does not believe this to be the right step at this time." "While respecting his disagreement, I have nevertheless asked him to use this opportunity to reflect on his recent statements and actions in the light of the Church's regulations for all Catholic priests," George said

A two-week suspension is no big deal, and Pfleger knows it.

HT: ProEcclesia

2 comments:

Neo-Con Tastic said...

I think the penalty was definitely light but what would be more appropriate- one month, five years, total removal?

Furthermore, I think the Cardinal understands it would be easy to disenfranchise the parishioners as they really seem to like Pfleger.

Anonymous said...

The Cardinal ASKED him to take a leave? Boy, if my employer ever wanted to suspend me, I hope they ask me if I wanted to be suspended.