Monday, March 06, 2023

"I'm Home"

Whatever you may think of Peggy Noonan politically, she's a Catholic.

Here she tells us about her Irish aunt:

...Jane Jane [as they called her] carried Mass cards and rosary beads—the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Blessed Mother, the saints. She’d put the cards on a mirror, hang the rosary beads on a bedstead. I look back and think, wherever she went she was creating an altar. To this day when I am in the home of newcomers to America, when I see cards, statues and Jesus candles, I think: I’m home.

She didn’t think life was plain and flat and material, she thought it had dimensions we don’t see, that there were souls and spirits and mysteries...

A good deal of the Catechism is contained in that last sentence, if you think about it.  And almost all of GKChesterton's work has to do with 'seeing cards and statues and ....being home.'

The Inn at the End of the World, without all the travel.

1 comment:

susan said...

That was just a beautiful post Dad....thank you :)