Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Champion, WI Hits the Map

Very unusual.

Reading from his decree, the Bishop stated, “I declare with moral certainty and in accord with the norms of the Church that the events, apparitions and locutions given to Adele Brise in October of 1859 do exhibit the substance of supernatural character, and I do hereby approve these apparitions as worthy of belief (although not obligatory) by the Christian faithful.”

Today’s declaration makes Our Lady of Good Help at Champion the first and only site in the United States of an approved apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Well.

It's a lot closer than Medjugorje, which does NOT have the approval of the local Bishop.

HT: FrZ

6 comments:

Badger Catholic said...

Yeah, funny how the real ones get no press.

Display Name said...

Wow, I agree with Owen.

GOR said...

I disagree, John.

Of course it's possible, but I would say unlikely. I'm not much for apparition sites - even the approved and most popular ones (to each his own).

But I would rather believe that the Bishop is looking to increase devotion to Our Lady and to Our Lord by the faithful - which is what these sites usually do. And that is a good thing from a pastoral perspective.

Display Name said...

I'll wait for the press release about the new and expanded gift shop for buying indulg... I mean, souvenirs.

Badger Catholic said...

Let's pretend nothing ever happened. That the Protestant way of studying history.

Display Name said...

Let's pretend that if someone, somewhere, regardless of their mental state, sees something, and it fits our world-view, let's declare it to be true. If it doesn't fit, we can ignore it.