Monday, March 03, 2008

Notre Dame: Just Follow the Money

I'm not a 'Domer,' and don't have a dog in the fight--except that Notre Dame insists on making references to their "Catholic" heritage, or influence, or something.

Wrong.

Actor Martin Sheen, also known for his work as an activist, will be honored by the University of Notre Dame with its Laetare Medal.

The school announced Sunday it will present the actor, who played a U.S. president who graduated from Notre Dame in the TV series "West Wing," with the medal at its May 18 commencement.

Since 1883, the Laetare Medal has been awarded annually to a Catholic "whose genius has ennobled the arts and sciences, illustrated the ideals of the church and enriched the heritage of humanity."

As The Jester observes:

Oh great. The man who last year called conservatives "bastards" and a "dangerous bunch of fascists" and spoke at a LGBT fundraiser and is supporter of "gay rights" is being honored.

And, of course, he has the standard Line of Crap on abortion:

I cannot make a choice for a women, particularly a black or brown or poor pregnant woman. I would not make a judgment in the case. As a father and a grandfather, I have had experience with children who don't always come when they are planned, and I have experienced the great joy of God's presence in my children, so I'm inclined to be against abortion of any life. But I am equally against the death penalty or war-- anywhere people are sacrificed for some end justifying a means. I don't think abortion is a good idea. I personally am opposed to abortion, but I will not judge anybody else's right in that regard because I am not a woman and I could never face the actual reality of it.

From The Vagina Monologues to honoring the lukewarm (at best....) Sorry to see it, ChurchLady.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why you think it is a standard line. His abortion view is very unpopular. I forget who did it, but someone tried using him in a pro-abortion cause a few years back and he became quite upset and demanded a retraction. I don't know the exact context of the statement Jester has quoted, but I think we can agree it isn't a ringing endorsement. I think it should be considered with his more substancial pro-life statements.

FTR, I'm not a fan of Mr. Sheen.

Anonymous said...

Sheen has used his recognition as an actor to help others, said the university's president, the Rev. John I. Jenkins.

"He has used that celebrity to draw the attention of his fellow citizens to issues that cry out for redress, such as the plight of immigrant workers and homeless people, the waging of unjust war, the killing of the unborn and capital punishment," Jenkins said.


http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8V5GQR00&show_article=1

Amy said...

I don't know why you think it is a standard line. His abortion view is very unpopular.

Because it's the line people throw about to try to please both sides of the fence.

"Personally, I'm opposed to abortion...but I would never judge..."

It's a cop out. Abortion is not only a grave moral evil, it is the taking of a life.

It's time to call a spade a spade.

While I commend Mr. Sheen for being a little to the right of his actor cohorts on abortion, I have a problem with anyone who uses that excuse to justify dual (and incompatable) positions.

It's like those snarky bumper stickers that read, "Don't like abortion? Don't have one!"

Anonymous said...

If people don't really know all the pro-life advocacy Sheen has done, that's forgivable. He has given lots of money to crisis pregnancy centers. He has refused to offer support to groups that woudl like to use him to support an abortion position. I just hope you and every other person lining up to condemn him take the same stance with the 3-exception folks. Make the perfect the enemy of the good. Don't try to tell me that McCain is pro-life in this coming election or that Bush was pro-life in the prior election.

Dad29 said...

MZ, your logic is deficient.

Sheen says: "I'm inclined to be against abortion of any life."

So then how does he come to this:

"I cannot make a choice for a women, particularly a black or brown or poor pregnant woman"

??

Easy. He sidesteps--by telling us he's "not judgmental."

Except, of course, in cases of the death penalty and war (which he knows damn little about.)

MZ, he's being casuist. And your "enemy of the perfect" line is just as casuist as Sheen.

Nobody here ever defended "Rubbers" Bush (that's Bush 1) or his wife, Barbara Planned Parenthood.

Nobody here believes in the 3 "exceptions."

But you shove red herrings around just like Sheen. Are you SURE you don't care for him, MZ?

Anonymous said...

I honestly don't care about him. You had no problem supporting let's-not-throw-girls-in-jail-over-abortion Thompson, so don't bother giving me lectures about being laxist.

Dad29 said...

So it is YOUR thought that we should incarcerate women who have abortions?

Maybe you're not lax--but you certainly are edgy.